INDIA BRAZIL MEETING
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi met Mr. Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, President of Brazil, on 10 September 2023, on the sidelines of the G20 Summit in New Delhi.
President Lula congratulated Prime Minister on the success of India’s G20 Presidency. Prime Minister conveyed his best wishes for Brazil’s G20 Presidency next year and assured him of India’s full support.
Discussions took place on ways to strengthen India – Brazil Strategic Partnership, including cooperation in bio-fuels, pharmaceuticals, agro-based industries, space and aviation.
- Marking the 75th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Brazil and India, celebrated in 2023, both leaders emphasized that bilateral ties have flourished based on common values and shared objectives, including the pursuit of peace, cooperation, and sustainable development.
- They reaffirmed their commitment to bolstering the Brazil-India Strategic Partnership and to sustaining their distinctive roles in global affairs.
- The two leaders reaffirmed their commitment to the comprehensive reform of the Security Council including its expansion in the permanent and non-permanent categories. The leaders stated that Brazil and India will continue to work closely together in the framework of G-4 and the L.69.
- Both leaders acknowledged the urgency of a fair and equitable energy transition. They noted the vital role of biofuels and flex-fuel vehicles in decarbonizing the transport sector, especially in developing nations.
- Both leaders recognize that climate change represents one of the greatest challenges of our time that needs to be addressed in the context of sustainable development and of efforts to eradicate poverty and hunger.
- Highlighting their roles as major global food producers, the leaders reaffirmed their resolve to increase cooperation in sustainable agriculture and rural development.
- Expressing satisfaction over the growing trade between India and Mercosur, both leaders agreed to work together for the expansion of India-Mercosur PTA during Brazil’s Mercosur Presidency, to leverage the full potential of this economic partnership.
- They welcomed the establishment of the India-Brazil Business Forum as a dedicated platform for private sector collaboration.
- The leaders welcomed the increased defence cooperation between India and Brazil including participation in military exercises, exchange of high-level defence delegations, and substantive industry presence in each other’s defence expositions.
- Celebrating the 20th anniversary of the IBSA Forum, the leaders vowed to foster higher-level dialogues among the three IBSA partners and affirmed the strategic significance of IBSA in safeguarding and advancing the interests of the Global South.