Why in news : Recently, the 45th edition of the Khalanga mela was held at Khalanga war memorial, Uttarakhand.
Key points about the Khalanga mela :
- The fair is organized every year in remembrance of the Gorkha warriors who fought bravely against the British in the Battle of Nalapani on the outskirts of Dehradun in 1814.
- The fair is celebrated by the Marshal community of India – Gorkhas.
About Khalang war memorial :
Khalang War Memorial, Uttarakhand
- It is located in Uttarakhand and is a famous tourist spot in Dehradun.
- It depicts the brave story of Gorkhas.
- It is perhaps the world’s first memorial erected by an army for their opponent.
- It was Britishers who constructed Khalanga War Memorail in the memory of their General “Gilaspy” and other men to pay tribute after the battle of Nalapani,1814.
Syllabus: prelims- culture