PM MODI JACKET OF RECYCLED PLASTIC BOTTLES
WHY IN NEWS?
- The jacket was made of material recycled from plastic or polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles.
- The light blue ‘sadri’ jacket was presented to Modi by the Indian Oil Corporation during the India Energy Week in Bengaluru.
PROCESS OF JACKETS PRODUCTION:
- The jacket that Prime Minister Modi wore is made out of 28 PET bottles.
- It has been recycled and produced by Ecoline Clothing facility.
- Firstly, PET bottles are collected in the form of bales, and these are sorted to remove the caps as well as labels.
- These are then crushed and recycled in a 10-stage process to clean hot wash flakes.
- These flakes are in turn made into polyester fibre and this fibre becomes yarn, used for garment production.
- This polyester fabric when blended with cotton or other such fabrics can help reduce the carbon footprint and emissions.
ISSUE OF POLYETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE(PET) bottles & ITS SUSTAINABLE USE :
- It is estimated that around one lakh PET bottles are used every minute in India, of which up to 85-90 per cent are recycled.
- Around 10,000-15,000 bottles end up at landfill sites and in water bodies.
- On an average, every Indian uses around 11 kg of plastic per annum.
- The carbon emissions are almost 40 percent lower in making garments from recycled polyester.
- It takes six to eight PET bottles to make a T- shirt and over 20 to make a jacket.
SYLLABUS: PRELIMS, SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY