Key facts about the scheme :
- Project RE-HAB stands for Reducing Elephant-Human Attacks using Bees.
- It was launched by the KVIC initially as a pilot project in Karnataka.
- It works by keeping the “bee fences” which are basically fences constructed using bee boxes.
- The bee boxes have bees inside them. Due to the buzzing sound they make the elephants wont move inside the human habitations.
- It is scientifically recorded that elephants are annoyed by the honey bees. Elephants also fear that the bee swarms can bite their sensitive inner side of the trunk and eyes.
- It is a cost-effective way of reducing human-wild conflicts without causing any harm to the animals.
- It is employed in different states to reduce Man- Animal conflicts.
- The initiative will increase the honey production as a by-product.
- This mission is a sub-mission of KVIC’s National Honey Mission.
Khadi and Village Industries Commission :
- KVIC is a statutory body established under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act, 1956.
- It comes under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
Syllabus : prelims-various Government schemes in news