Telangana’s Teja chilli
Why in news :
- The burgeoning demand for the popular Teja variety of red chilli, famous for its culinary, medicinal and other wide-ranging uses, in the export market is proving to be a boon for the Khammam Agriculture Market, housing Telangana’s second largest chilli market yard.
More about the news :
- Khammam district, the largest producer of the Teja variety of red chilli, is the leading exporter of the pungent produce.
- It is known not only for its culinary purpose to spice up various delicacies but also as a main ingredient in making pepper spray.
- The huge demand for oleoresin, a natural chilli extract, is mainly driving the export of the Teja variety of red chilli.
- It is being exported from Khammam district to various spice processing industries in several Asian countries.
- The Mudigonda-based oleoresin extraction firm of a Chinese company is engaged in export of the byproduct to its clients.
- The Teja variety of red chilli is being exported to China, Bangladesh and a few other south Asian countries from Khammam mainly through the Chennai port.
- The volume of exports of the commodity is picking up in tune with growing requirements of the spice processing industries and other allied units engaged in production of value-added products such as sauce and pickles.
- The paste extracted from the pungent fruit is also in demand for its use as a protective layer beneath ships in some of the Asian countries.
- The pungent commodity is most sought after in various south Asian countries including Thailand.
More about Teja chilli :
- Teja chilli is a fine variety of Guntur chilli.
- Guntur chillies are a group of chilli cultivars from the Guntur and Prakasam districts of Andhra Pradesh, India.
- They are renowned globally and exported to Asia, Canada, and Europe.
- The Guntur district is the main producer and exporter of most varieties of chillies and chilli powder from India to regions such as Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Middle East, South Korea, the UK, the US, and Latin America.
- Chillies have various colours and flavours because of the level of capsaicin in them.
- Guntur chillies form an important part of curries and various popular dishes of the state of Andhra Pradesh in India.
- The main trading place for the Guntur chilli is called Guntur Mirchi Yard, which is Asia’s largest dried red chilli market.
Syllabus : Prelims