Why in news :
- The Delhi High Court on Monday upheld the validity of the Agnipath scheme launched by the Union government for recruitment in the armed forces.
About the scheme :
- Agneepath scheme is a central government scheme launched in 2022.
- Under the scheme, Indian youth can join the Indian Army for four years and will be able to serve the country.
- This is a pan-India scheme so any Indian youth can apply for this job and join the Indian Army.
- Candidates between the age of 5 years to 21 years will be eligible for enrolling in the Agnipath scheme.
Key features of the Agneepath scheme :
- It’s a Pan India married-based recruitment system. That means anyone from anywhere in India can apply for this job.
- It’s a four-years tenure job.
- Opportunity to serve in the armed forces as Agniveers.
- Attractive monthly emoluments and handsome Seva Nidhi package.
- 100% opportunity to apply for permanent enrollment.
- Enrollment model based on Agneepath scheme.
- Based on married organizational requirements, 25% of Agniveers selected based on a Central, transparent, rigorous system, after 4 years.
- According to the announcement and the ministry of defence under this scheme, the youth will get an annual package of 4.76 lakh in the first year.
- 4th year of their serving time the annual package will be increased to 6.9 lakh.
- After the 4 years of service, our service fund of rupees 11.7 lakh will be given to the youth this money will be totally tax-free.
- Apart from this other risk and hardship allowance will also be available. In total, this is a good package for youth to serve their four years in the army.
The scheme would be a win win situation for the Armed Forces, Nation, individuals and the society at large.
- National Integration based in unity in diversity with equal opportunity to youth including women from all regions.
- Nation Building through empowered, disciplined & skilled youth with military ethos in civil society.
Armed Forces :
- Improved battle preparedness through transformative evolution with energetic, fitter, diverse, more trainable and resilient youth suited to the changing dynamics.
- Selection of the Best with rigorous and transparent selection process.
- Youthful Profile by optimal balance of youth & experience.
- Endeavour to Harness benefits of SKILL INDIA by induction from Tech Institutes.
- Opportunity for Youth to fulfil dream of joining the Armed Forces and serve the Nation.
- Imbibe military discipline, motivation, skill and physical fitness.
- Smooth integration into society with skill sets, certification and diplomas/higher education/credits.
- Good financial package making him more stable than his civilian counterparts.
- Confident & better citizens by military training, team building, ethos & camaraderie forged over the years.
- Resume so unique that an Agniveer will stand out in the crowd.
Syllabus : Prelims + Mains; GS 3 – Defence