AHOM GENERAL LACHIT BORPHUKAN
Why in news : 400th birth anniversary celebrations of Ahom General Lachit Borphukan is taking place this year.
- Who is he : Lachit borphukan (1622-1672), was a commander and Borphukan, in the Ahom kingdom located in the present day Assam.
- Lachit Barphukan is often referred to as the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj of northeast India.
- What is meant by Borphukan : Borphukan was one of the five patra mantris in the Ahom kingdom, a position that was created by the Ahom king prataap sangha.
- Significance of Lachit borphukan : he was known for his leadership in the Battle of Saraighat which was happened in 1671.
- Battle of Saraighat : It was fought on the mighty banks of river Brahmputra in Guwahati in 1671.In this war the Ahom General Lachit Borphukan successfully resisted the Mughal army invasion led by Raja Ram Singh-I.
- While the Mughals were at the height of their power, they were unable to consolidate their rule in Assam and the Northeast. Despite 17 attempts to conquer Assam, the Mughals failed each time. Marshals like Veer Lachit Barphukan kept Assam from falling to the invaders.
SYLLABUS : PRELIMS, MEDIEVAL HISTORY