Why in news:
- Last year, Seven workers died from asphyxiation during the removal of sludge from an edible oil tank at a mill in Kakinada district of Andhra Pradesh.
- Asphyxiaor asphyxiation is a condition of deficient supply of oxygen to the body which arises from abnormal breathing.
- Asphyxia causes generalized hypoxia, which affects primarily the tissues and organs.
- Asphyxia can cause coma or death.
Difference between Hypoxia and Anoxia:
- When oxygen levels become alarmingly low (less than 2-3 milligrams of oxygen per liter of water) the condition is called Hypoxia.
- When oxygen levels are at zero, the condition is called Anoxia.
- Anoxia happens when the body or brain completely loses its oxygen supply.