Why in news:
- Recently, the district administration of Ladakh designated six hamlets within the Changthang Wildlife Sanctuary as a “darksky reserve”.
Dark Sky Reserve, Ladakh
- The designation meant that the reserve had a responsibility to keep the skies dark, particularly for the astronomical observatories located in the area.
What is meant by Dark Sky:
- Dark sky usually refers to an area whose sky is free of light pollution.
- A dark-sky preserve(DSP) is an area, usually surrounding a park or observatory, that restricts artificial light pollution.
Objectives and Importance of Dark Sky Heritage:
- To promote eco- and astro-tourism;
- To promote protection of nocturnal habitats, public enjoyment of the night sky and its heritage, and areas ideal for professional and/or amateur astronomy;
- To encourage land administrators, surrounding communities and private interests to identify dark skies as a valuable resource in need of proactive protection;
- To provide international recognition for such sites
- To encourage other sites to become environmental leaders on dark sky issues by communicating the importance of dark skies
- To preserve the ecological integrity of natural environments.
- To ensure the full enjoyment of a wilderness experience.
- To appreciate the integrity, character and beauty of rural landscapes
Syllabus: Prelims + Mains; GS3- Science and Technology