Why in news :
- Fossils of an extinct species of animal that scientists reported in a sensational discovery from India’s Bhimbetka Rock Shelters in 2021 have been found to be belied hopes.
- A closer look at the site revealed the apparent fossil to really be wax smeared on a rock by a beehive.
- In March 2020 there were findings that was spotted and was declared that they may be a chance are 44cmwide fossil of Dickinsonia, an animal that lived at least 538 million years ago, in a cave.
More about Dickinsonia :
- Dickinsoniais an extinct genus of basal animal that lived during the late Ediacaran period in what is now Australia, China, Russia and Ukraine.
- The individual Dickinsonia typically resembles a bilaterally symmetrical ribbed oval.
- Dickinsonia fossils are known only in the form of imprints and casts in sandstone beds.
- Dickinsonia fossils in other parts of the world have indicated it was circular or oval in shape, somewhat flat, with rib-like structures radiating from a central column.
Syllabus : Prelims