Expo Aero India
Why in news:
- Recently the Prime Minister inaugurated the 14th edition of Aero India.
- The perception of the biennial expo Aero India has changed and today it is India’s strength.
- It is a show that not only showcases the scope of the defence industry but also the self-confidence of India.
- PM Modi said that said the country which was the largest defence importer for decades has now started exporting defence equipment to 75 countries in the world.
- This year’s expo has the participation of more than 80 countries along with 800 defence companies, which include around 100 foreign and 700 Indian companies.
- PM Modi indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) and aircraft carrier INS Vikrant as examples of India’s successes in selfreliance.
- It is an aircraft carrierin service with Indian Navy.
- The carrier is the first to be built in India and was constructed by the Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL)in Kerala.
- The namesake Vikrant is a tribute to India’s first aircraft carrier INS Vikrant (1961), Vikrant means “courageous” in Sanskrit.
- According to the Indian Navy, the 262-meter-long carrier INS Vikranthas a full displacement of close to 45,000 tonnes which is much larger and more advanced than its predecessor.
- Speaking about the specifications of IAC Vikrant, Vice Admiral Hampiholi had said that INS Vikrant carries a mix of about 30 aircraft MIG-29K fighter jets, Kamov-31, MH-60R multi-role helicopters, in addition to indigenously manufactured Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH) and Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) (Navy).
Syllabus: Prelims + Mains; GS3 – Science and Technology; Defence