India remains world’s largest importer of arms : SIPRI report
Why in news :
- According to the Swedish think tank Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) India remained the world’s largest arms importer for the five year period between 2018 and 2022 even though its arms imports dropped by 11% between 2013-2017 and 2018-2022.
- Russia was the largest supplier of arms to India from 2013 to 2022, but its share of total imports fell from 64% to 45% while France is the second largest supplier.
- India remained the largest arms importer followed by Saudi Arabia. Russia accounted for 45% of India’s imports followed by France (29%) and the U.S. (11%).
- India’s arms imports from France, which included 62 combat aircraft and four submarines, increased by 489% between 2013 to 2017 and 2018 to 2022.
- France therefore displaced the U.S. to become the second largest supplier to India in 2018 to 2022.
Syllabus : Prelims