Nord Stream Gas Pipeline 2
About the pipeline:
- It is a 1,234-kilometre-long (767 mi) natural gas pipeline from Russia to Germany.
- It runs through the Baltic Sea.
- The construction of the pipeline started in 2011, to expand the Nord Stream 1 line and double annual capacity to 110 billion cubic metres (3.9 trillion cubic feet).
- It was completed in September 2021, but has not yet entered service.
- Planning and construction of the pipeline were mired in political controversy over fears that Russia would use it for geopolitical advantage with Europe and Ukraine, and that the US would lose political influence over Ukraine.
Syllabus: Prelims + Mains; GS2 – International Relations