WHY IN NEWS ?
- Recently, India launched Operation Ajay to bring back Indians from Israel.
MORE ABOUT THE NEWS:
- Israel has declared war against Hamas and set up a war cabinet.
- Hamas said it is ready for a long-drawn conflict.
- The Israeli authorities said more than 1,200 people, including 155 soldiers, have been killed in Israel, while the Palestinian side put the death toll in Gaza at 950.
- India being a strategic partner of Israel condemned the Hamas attack and PM Modi expressed solidarity with Israel.
- As soon as the conflict broke out, the external affairs minister alerted Indians in Israel to exercise caution.
- The ministry came up with a helpline number and on the 5th day of the conflict, India launched Operation Ajay.
- There are around 18,000 Indian citizens in Israel, including 1,000 students
ABOUT OPERATION AJAY :
- Operation Ajay is not technically an evacuation operation.
- It is an operation to repatriate its citizens from Israel.
- Special charter flights and other arrangements being put in place to help Indians to return to the country safely.
- Indians in Israel who wish to return will be facilitated in this operation.
- There are around 18,000 Indians in Israel including students, professionals and traders.
SYLLABUS: PRELIMS, CURRENT AFFAIRS