PM AWAS YOJANA
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) is an initiative by the Government of India in which affordable housing will be provided to the poor.
- It was launched with the aim of achieving Housing for All by 2022.
- It has two components : Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) (PMAY-U) for the urban poor and Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin).
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) (PMAY-U) :
- It is implemented by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The scheme addresses urban housing shortage among the EWS/LIG and MIG categories including the slum dwellers by ensuring a pucca house to all eligible urban households.
- The Mission promotes women empowerment by providing the ownership of houses in name of female member or in joint name.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin) :
- It comes under the Ministry of Rural Development.
- The cost of the unit will be shared in a 60:40 ratio between the Central and State governments in plain areas.
- In the Himalayan states, northeastern states, and the Union Territory (UT) of Jammu & Kashmir, the ratio is 90:10.
- 100% financing from the Centre for Union Territories including the UT of Ladakh.
- Beneficiaries are identified using parameters from Socio-Economic and Caste Census (SECC) and verified by Gram Sabhas.
Syllabus : prelims + mains ; GS2 – schemes in news