Sickle Cell Anaemia
Why in news :
- With barely two weeks left in the fiscal year, the Health Ministry has completed a minuscule 1% of its ambitious target to scan one crore people for sickle cell disease in 202223.
- In her Budget speech, Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had said that India aims to eliminate sickle cell anaemia by 2047.
More about sickle cell anaemia :
- Sickle cell anaemia is one of a group of inherited disorders known as sickle cell disease.
- It affects the shape of red blood cells, which carry oxygen to all parts of the body.
- Red blood cells are usually round and flexible, so they move easily through blood vessels.
- In sickle cell anaemia, some red blood cells are shaped like sickles or crescent moons.
- These sickle cells also become rigid and sticky, which can slow or block blood flow.
- There’s no cure for most people with sickle cell anaemia.
- Treatments can relieve pain and help prevent complications associated with the disease.
Syllabus : Prelims