WHAT ARE SMART RINGS ?
- A smart ring is essentially a miniature wearable computer that fits on your finger.
- A smart ring is a wearable electronics device with advanced mobile components that combine features of mobile devices with innovative features useful for mobile or handheld use.
- Smart rings, which are typically the size of traditional rings or larger, combine the features of a mobile device, such as the ability to make payments and mitigate access control, with popular innovative uses such as gesture control and activity tracking.
- Smart rings can communicate directly with smartphones or compatible devices (such as personal computers) through a variety of applications and websites.
- Some smart rings can operate without the need of a mobile phone, such as when interacting with back-end systems on the cloud through or performing standalone functions such as activity tracking.
- They typically do not have a display and operate by contextual relevance, such as by making a payment when near a payment terminal, unlocking an electronic lock when near the lock, or controlling home appliances when making gestures in the home.
- Some smart rings have physical or capacitive buttons to use as an activation mechanism, such as to initiate a gesture or make a phone call.
HOW DOES SMART RING WORK ?
- The technology behind this tiny wearable is not just one but quite a few technologies, including an NFC chip, sensor, Bluetooth chip, battery, microcontroller, and light indicator.
USES OF SMART RINGS:
- Smart rings are equipped with sensors that can measure heart rate, blood oxygen levels, and even stress.
- One of the main features of the smart ring is to serve as a near-field communication device, effectively eliminating the need to carry credit cards, door keys, car keys, and potentially even ID cards or driver’s licenses.
Other uses include:
- Connection to a smartphone in order to notify the user of incoming calls, text, emails, and more.
- Use as gesture-based controller.
- Allowing the user to perform a variety of actions with a simple motion of the hand; and measure steps, distance, sleep, heart rate.
- Contactless Payments: Certain smart rings come with built-in NFC that allow users to make contactless payments, adding to their convenience.
SYLLABUS: PRELIMS, CURRENT AFFAIRS