Social Hostilities Index and Government Restrictions Index
Why in news : Recently, a report titled “ How COVID-19 restrictions affected religious groups around the world in 2020” was released by Pew Research Center.
The report talks about two Indices which are social hostilities index and government restrictions index. It was the 13th edition of the Pew survey which was started in 2007.
Social Hostilities Index :
- In this index, India has been ranked first.
- It measures acts of religious hostility by private individuals, organizations or groups in society.
- The higher the rank the higher the hostility.
- The index uses 13 indicators to measure social hostilities.
Government Restrictions Index :
- In this Index, India ranked relatively low (33 out of 198 countries) in the Government Restrictions Index.
- It measures government laws, policies and actions that restrict religious beliefs and policies.
- The higher the rank the higher will be the restrictions.
- The index comprises 20 types of restrictions including efforts by the government to ban particular faiths, prohibit conversion, limit preaching or give preferential treatment to one or more religious groups.
- China topped in this Index.
Syllabus : Prelims- Various reports and Indices in News