Indian Prime Minister along with his Papua New Guinea counterpart recently released the Tamil classic ‘Thirukkural’ in the Tok Pisin language.
What is Thirukkural?
- Thirukkural, also called Kural, is a classic Tamil text written by Thiruvalluvar, believed to have lived sometime between the 2nd century BCE and the 5th century CE. It has had an immense influence on Tamil culture and life.
- It is a collection of 1,330 couplets (kurals) that offer timeless wisdom on various aspects of life, including ethics, governance, love, and spirituality.
What is the structure & theme of these texts?
- Thirukkural is divided into three main sections or books:
- Aram (Virtue),
- Porul (Wealth), and
- Inbam (Love).
- It discusses virtues such as righteousness, truth, gratitude, and compassion.
- It emphasises the importance of leading a righteous life and upholding moral values in all circumstances.
- It provides insights into worldly affairs, including governance, economy, and friendship.
- It offers wisdom on topics like wealth management, administration, and the value of good company.
- It delves into the complexities of human emotions, love, and family life.
You must log in to post a comment.