WHY IN NEWS ?
- The launch of social media app Threads as a competitor to Twitter is a game-changer.
ABOUT THREADS :
- Threads is a brand new microblogging platform from Meta, the monstrous company that owns WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram.
- The app has been designed and built by the Instagram team and is described as a platform for sharing text updates and joining public conversations.
- Interestingly, Threads uses your existing Instagram network of friends and followers with you.
- Meta notes that users who are younger than 18 will receive a default private profile.
- Development on Threads began in January 2023, then internally known as “Project 92”.
- Threads officially launched on July 5 in 100 countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and Japan.
- In a little over a day after its launch, the social network reached 50 million registered users.
THREADS VS TWITTER:
- Threads is a Twitter clone, even if Meta claims that the app is modelled after how Instagram changed the way we share visual content on social media.
- Meta has confirmed that Threads will give users a 500-character count limit. On the other hand, unverified Twitter users have a maximum of 280 characters.
- On Threads, users will be able to post videos that are five minutes long.
- On Twitter, those without the coveted blue badge can post two minutes 20 second long videos.
- Threads has received criticism for its link to Instagram accounts. Users must delete their Instagram accounts to delete their Threads account.
SYLLABUS: PRELIMS, CURRENT AFFAIRS